Episcopal Schools in Houston
Episcopal High School
In 1981, a group of Episcopal parishioners discussed their children's education with then-Bishop Maurice Benitez. Their children often attended day schools at their local churches, but these schools only went through the 8th grade. Therefore, they set about to establish a high school. Their efforts came to fruition just three years later, and EHS welcomed its first 150 ninth and tenth graders in 1984. The founders purchased a vacant campus that had formerly served as the home for the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament’s convent and high school. Episcopal High School remains at this same location today and now serves more than 500 students.
Holy Spirit Episcopal School
Holy Spirit Episcopal School opened in 1962 at its present location on the campus of Holy Spirit Episcopal Church. The church and school were founded by the Right Reverent John C. Hines; the congregation began meeting in 1958 at Bunker Hill Elementary before moving to the present location on Perthshire Road. The school originally served ages 3-5, but has expanded over the years to accommodate infants - grade 8. At Holy Spirit Episcopal School, the focus is on developing the whole child, academically and in character. The curriculum is intended to teach children problem-solving and independent thinking while also using Christian theology and social thought as a basis for developing their character.
Holy Trinity Episcopal School
Holy Trinity Episcopal School is a private, coeducational school located in northeast Houston just inside Beltway 8. It was founded in 1994 by community members who saw and sought to meet the need for a private Episcopal school in that area. The past 20 years have seen it grow considerably. In 2005, it moved to its present location on a sprawling 50-acre campus on Lockwood Road. In 2009, it expanded to offer grades 9-12 in addition to PreK-8. Throughout this process of growth, the school has remained committed to its mission: “To prepare students for higher education and a meaningful life experience through a program emphasizing excellence, spiritual development, and social responsibility.”
St. Francis Episcopal Day
St. Francis Episcopal Day School was founded in 1952 by a group of area residents, both parishioners and non-parishioners, who decided to create a parish school as part of the St. Francis Episcopal Church. The school they envisioned would be self-supporting and use the existing parish facilities. After welcoming an initial class of 24 preschoolers, St. Francis eventually grew to educate students from pre-kindergarten through 8th grade. The school’s four cornerstones are faith, scholarship, courage and honor.
St. Mark’s Episcopal School
St. Mark’s Episcopal School began as a nursery program for St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in 1960. Over the next twenty years, St. Mark’s expanded to serve students in grades K-8, graduating its first eighth grade class in 1988. Today St. Mark’s enrolls approximately 430 students from age two years through eighth grade.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal
St. Stephen’s Episcopal School teaches children in grades PreK-12 according to Montessori principles of education. It was originally founded in 1971 as a parish Montessori school at Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church. The school moved to the St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church facility in 1983 and was incorporated as St. Stephen’s Episcopal School in 1987. The middle school was established in 1991, and the high school was established in 1998. St. Stephen’s is accredited by the American Montessori Society and Southwestern Association of Episcopal Schools.
Saint Thomas Episcopal
The educational arm of Saint Thomas’ Episcopal Church, Saint Thomas' Episcopal School was founded in 1955 as a pre-school and kindergarten. Over the course of the next decade, it expanded to accommodate all grade levels, and it graduated its first high school class in 1967. Today, it offers thirteen years of instruction from "Kindergarten Bridge" to 12th grade. The school’s mission is to “form honorable men and women through a classical education grounded in a Christ-centered world view.”