Catholic Schools in Houston
Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart is a private, college preparatory, all-girls school. It was founded in 1960 as part of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools. The school derives its name from Saint Rose Philippine Duchesne, a Catholic nun, French saint, and founder of the first houses of the Society of the Sacred Heart in America. Duchesne began its enrollment in 1960 with 52 students in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade. Today, the school educates over 600 girls from pre-kindergarten through the 12th grade. Duchesne is a part of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
Corpus Christi Catholic School
Corpus Christi Catholic School (CCCS) was founded in 1959 with support from the local Catholic community and the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. The school serves pre-kindergarten through eighth grade students. In 1990, the school received the prestigious Blue Ribbon School Award from the US Department of Education. This award identifies schools that have extremely high performing students or that have made significant improvements in closing the achievement gap.
Incarnate Word Academy
The Congregation of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament (CVI) founded Incarnate Word Academy (IWA), a girls' college preparatory school, in November of 1873. Although the original building has been replaced, the school remains at its original location at 609 Crawford Street. IWA is accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and the Texas Catholic Conference Education Department, and it is a member of the National Catholic Education Association.
Pope John XXIII High School
Pope John XXIII High School, a coeducational Catholic school, was founded in Katy in 2001 by local Catholic community leaders, with the guidance of Monsignor Joe H. Crosthwait and Monsignor Ed Randall. As the first new Catholic school opened in the Houston metropolitan area in more than 40 years, it was intended to be a place where students could learn and grow in the Catholic faith and Christian service. The school’s stated mission is to “prepare the hearts and minds of our students to serve God and others.”
Regis School of the Sacred Heart
The Regis School of the Sacred Heart was founded in 1991 after approval by Bishop Joseph A. Fiorenza. Three Catholic families associated with Regis’ sister school, Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart, formed a corporation in the fall of 1990 called The Catholic Elementary School for Boys. After receiving the Bishop's approval, this school was named for a 17th century Jesuit priest, St. John Francis Regis, who was the favorite saint of St. Philippine Duchesne. The Regis School's founders intended it to be a Sacred Heart school, and in April 1998, the National Network of Sacred Heart Schools voted Regis in as a full member. Regis was the first school admitted to the Network since 1962 and the first school founded by lay people ever to be admitted.
St. Agnes Academy
The Prioress of the Dominican Sisters of Houston, Mother Pauline Gannon, founded St. Agnes Academy in 1905 and welcomed its first students in 1906. Originally located in modern Midtown Houston, the school relocated to its current location in Sharpstown in 1963. St. Agnes originally provided 12 years of education and boarding facilities. It discontinued the boarding facilities in 1939 and converted to a high school in 1954.
St. Anne Catholic School
In 1930, the Basilian fathers opened St. Anne Catholic School under the direction of five sisters of Divine Providence from Our Lady of the Lake Convent. The school was founded with the vision “Teach me Goodness, Discipline, and Knowledge." Today, students from all areas of Houston and the outlying suburbs attend the PreK-8 school. In 2006, the school was awarded the Blue Ribbon from the US Department of Education.
St. Catherine's Montessori
St. Catherine’s Montessori is a coeducational, Catholic Montessori school which works with students aged 14 months to 9th grade. Sisters Edna Ann Herbert and Shirley Owens founded St. Catherine’s (originally Dominican Montessori) in 1966. The school is affiliated with the Association Montessori Internationale. Before moving to its current location in 2006, St. Catherine’s was hosted by St. Agnes Academy’s old building. The school then was hosted by the Holy Rosary Parish and Bering Memorial Methodist Church. In 1983, St. Catherine’s moved to a 20,000 square foot building on Westridge, where the school remains to this day.
St. Michael Catholic School
St. Michael Catholic School is a parochial school located in the Galleria area of Houston which serves approximately 450 coed students in grades PreK-8. St. Michael was established in 1954 by St. Michael Catholic Church, and it is affiliated with the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston. The school's mission is to “integrate faith and knowledge in the tradition of Catholic education.”
St. Pius X
St. Pius X High School educates approximately 650 young men and women in the Dominican tradition. The Dominican Sisters, a Catholic women’s group, founded St. Pius X High School in 1956 as part of Bishop Wendelin Nold’s campaign to form new high schools in Houston. 50 years prior to St. Pius X’s opening, the Dominican Sisters founded St. Agnes Academy, an all-girl’s Catholic high school. St. Pius X is coeducational and also hosts a number of international students from over 20 different countries in its foreign exchange program.
St. Theresa Catholic School
Bishop C. E. Byrne of the Galveston-Houston Catholic Diocese blessed St. Theresa Catholic Church and School on August 10, 1947. In February 1948, after dedication, students in grades one through eight began taking classes under The Sisters of the Incarnate Word. Today, the school accommodates nearly 200 students in grades PreK through eight. St. Theresa’s educational philosophy is based on “the development and formation of the total person.”
St. Thomas High School
Three priests from the Congregation of St. Basil founded the school, then named St. Thomas College, in 1900 in an unused building of the Franciscan Monastery in downtown Houston. That first location in a warehouse was temporary as the school quickly moved to a location on Main Street in 1903. It moved to its current location in 1940. Today, St. Thomas educates more than 700 young men every year.
Father Michel F. Kennelly of the Jesuit Fathers of New Orleans Province founded Strake Jesuit in 1960 on land donated by the Strake family in what is now the Greater Sharpstown area. The school’s first class of freshmen matriculated in 1961. Although it remains at its original location, the school has grown tremendously since that time, especially in the 1970's and in the 2000’s. In the most recent decade, Jesuit undertook the Greater Glory Capital Campaign to vastly expand its facilities. Today, Strake educates approximately 1000 young men per year in the Jesuit tradition.